The State Museum of the Republic of San Marino it was formed in the second half of the nineteenth century thanks to a series of donations from all over the world, promoted by Count Luigi Cibrario, minister of Vittorio Emanuele II.

The museum was inaugurated in 1899 in Palazzo Valloni, home of the Library, but was moved to Palazzo Pergami Belluzzi and reopened to the public on 18 March 2001.
It has various historical and artistic materials, some coming from San Marino, others purchased or donated to the State from 1865 to today.
The Museum is divided into four floors, each dedicated to a specific artistic or historical field.

San Marino Archaeology (ground floor)
Art in the Republic (first floor)
Art of giving (second floor)
Donation archeology and numismatics (floor below)

Ground floor

The ground floor houses archaeological finds from the Republic of San Marino.
In the first three rooms it is possible to admire ancient finds (from the Neolithic to the Middle Ages) found in the San Marino territory. In the fourth room, architectural and pictorial elements from San Marino and dating back to the Renaissance are exhibited.
Among the objects displayed on the ground floor there are bronze and clay votive offerings, coins, pieces of goldsmithery and a Renaissance polyptych dated around 1530) by Francesco Menzocchi.

First floor

In the rooms on the first floor the following are exhibited:
Paintings, ceramics and furnishings from the period between the 17th and 19th centuries from the Monastery of Santa Chiara (room V)
Paintings and sculptures linked to the history of the Republic and the cult of its saints (rooms VI, VII and VIII)
Artistic donations that gave rise to the museum (room IX)
Among these works we note San Filippo Neri (Guercino, 1656), the works of his followers Matteo Loves and Cesare Gennari and the canvas depicting San Marino reviving his Republic, a work by Pompeo Batoni dated 1740.
In the ninth room there are, among other works, two panels by Michele Giambono, a canvas by Bernardo Strozzi and some sculptures from the 15th and 16th centuries.
Other works are dedicated to the Protector Saints (Marino and Agata) while some objects pertinent to the functioning of the institutions are also kept (urns, voting plates, etc.).

Second floor

The rooms on the second floor contain icons, ceramics and paintings resulting from donations and dated between the Middle Ages and the 19th century.
Some rare Limoges enamels, some Byzantine icons, eighteenth-century paintings from Latin America, works from the Tuscan and Umbrian schools of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries and some wooden and bronze sculptures are on display.
There is also a collection of majolica from Italian (such as Faenza, Savona or Montelupo), French and Dutch factories.

Floor Below

Rooms XII, XIV and XV house a rich collection of prehistoric, Egyptian, Greek, Etruscan and Roman material.

As regards Ancient Egypt, a group of funerary statuettes (usciabti) and divinities and a rare collection of "ampullae of Saint Mena" are on display.
There is a collection of Greek, Etruscan and Italiot vases with black and red figures coming mainly from southern Italy. Furthermore, numerous Roman ceramics, votive, ornamental and everyday objects (glasses, necklaces, fibulae, etc.) and various ancient coins are on display.
The XVI room houses a collection of San Marino coins and medals. There are precious examples of coins issued from 1864 to today, including some unique pieces, and a collection of donation medals.

Previous reading
Public Palace of the Republic of San Marino
Next reading
The San Marino celebrations of Corpus Christi