It is the heart of San Marino political life and its history. The Palazzo Pubblico stands on the so-called "Pianello", that is Freedom Square. It stands on the site of Domus Comunis Magna, built between 1380 and 1392 and repaired several times. 

In the second half of the 19th century, the Palazzo Vecchio had the appearance of a seventeenth-century building: the 17 May 1884 the foundation stone of the current Palace was laid, based on a design by the Roman architect Francesco Azzurri, president of the Accademia di San Luca in Rome, by local stonecutters directed by the San Marino master builder Giuseppe Reffi, using stones extracted from the Titan quarries.

The inauguration took place on 30 September 1894, speaker of the ceremony was Giosuè Carducci who on the occasion gave the famous speech on "perpetual freedom".

It was later restored and renovated by the internationally renowned architect Gae Aulenti, to adapt it to the renewed needs of functionality and safety: the solemn inauguration took place on September 30, 1996.

The facade is richly decorated with numerous symbols: the coat of arms of the Republic and four castles: Serravalle, Fiorentino, Montegiardino and Faetano. There is also no shortage of icons of smaller locations acquired over the centuries by the Republic.

It is supported by three ogival arches, in the center dominates a polygonal balcony with two decorated windows on the sides. It stands out between the two small windows on the mezzanine Coat of arms of the Republic.

On the left side rises the crenellated bell tower like the rest of the castle: this bears the images of Sant'Agata, San Marino and San Leo under which the clock is placed. In the corner, at mezzanine level, there is a Bronze statue of the Saint. Under the portico, on the right, there is a marble bust by the architect Azzurri, work of Giulio Tadolini.

The interiors of Palazzo Pubblico

Inside, the walls of the atrium are covered with trophies, inscriptions, coats of arms, friezes, busts of illustrious men, including non-San Marino ones (among which that of Carducci stands out), who have marked the history of the country.

But the treasure that this Palace has guarded for centuries is theCouncil Chamber on the upper floor which is accessed via an imposing staircase: the sixty parliamentarians of Titan have gathered in its seats since 1848.

On the wall at the back of the room stands theimage of the holy founder, surrounded by his people. Peasants, soldiers, learned men, women and children listen to San Marino as it warns them "Relinquos your freedoms ab other nominations” (“I leave you free from both men“, implying the figures of the Pope and the Emperor).

There are also the Congress and Audience Hall and the Scrutinio Hall, whose windows overlook the Square and from which, with a spiral staircase, you access the terrace and the Tower.

The square in front, called Pianello or Piazza della Libertà it houses ancient cisterns beneath it for collecting rainwater, once used as a water reserve for the San Marino people.

Previous reading
Basilica of the patron saint Marino
Next reading
State Museum of the Republic of San Marino